If anyone has been a long time follower of my website you will know I used to have my own weather station on my house that provided real time updates of the weather in Great Doddington, Northamptonshire. This was setup in November 2006 and had been running with very little problems until early 2012 when the rain gauge stopped working, I took the sensor apart but the circuit board had rotted away. This was shortly followed by the wind direction and speed sensor. Here are some pictures off the old setup.
Knowing I needed a new station I started looking around but some vital house items needed doing so the weather station got delayed until now.
I have just installed a Oregon Scientific WMR200 weather station with extra UV sensor.
As the old unit had already been installed I started by installing the new display unit. This was simple enough apart from the new unit is USB and the old was serial
Next step the rain and UV sensor were fitted, the best place I found was on the woodwork at the bottom off the garden
Next the Wind speed and direction were mounted along with the outside temperature sensor, These were mounted on to a 10 foot x 1.5″ pole
Then this was pole was mounted to the side of my house to give a good clear open view off the wind
The control unit was then connected to my new server running Windows Home Server (WHS) and the OS software was installed. This was then linked upto the Weather Display software. The weather display software then uploads the data to my webhosting were it then converted to a flash file for easy viewing.